UNC-Chapel Hill’s Kenan-Flagler Business School and the National Consortium for Data Science will offer students the opportunity to hear from representatives of top businesses who need data science talent at an upcoming career networking event.
From Outlier to Insider, a networking event with data science professionals will be held Tuesday, Feb. 23 beginning at 6 p.m. with a data science industry panel discussion in Koury Auditorium at UNC. The panel will be followed by informal networking with industry leaders at the Kenan Conference Center beginning at 7 p.m.
Panelists for the event are:
- Chris Boggiano, cofounder of VersaMe, a company that has created the world’s first word-tracking system for babies. Paired with its smart phone app, Starling by VersaMe provides personalized information, analytics, and activities to track a child’s progress.
- Jud Bowman, a serial entrepreneur who has started three companies, Motricity, Appia, and most recently, Sift, a spinout from Appia at the intersection of mobile apps and big data. Bowman also serves on the board of directors of Research Triangle Park and North Carolina’s Board of Science, Technology and Innovation.
- Lynne Miller, a division leader and senior director of enterprise analytics at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. Miller is healthcare professional with experience in strategy, planning, development, and operations related to informatics products used in health plans and by health insurance carriers and revenue centers.
- Armistead Sapp, head of the SAS research and development division, who leads SAS R&D employees worldwide to produce software for business intelligence, advanced analytics, data management and customer intelligence, as well as industry-specific solutions and mobile applications. As CTO, he helps development teams take full advantage of computing platforms that deliver the best value to customers.
- Richard Thomas, president of Quintiles’ technology and solutions business and a member of the company’s executive committee. He is responsible for all aspects of technology and associated services with clients around the world as well as internally. With an extensive portfolio of solutions and services, he leads the company’s global technology organization for Quintiles’ headquarters in Durham, NC.
In addition to the panel discussion, representatives from a number of companies that hire data science talent will networking meetup at 7 p.m. Companies planning to participate in that event are Deloitte, PwC, Cisco, Quintiles, EMC, RTI International, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. Sift, MetLife, SAS, IBM, VersaMe, and Merz.
For more information or to register, visit http://www.bigdatacareer.eventbrite.com/.