- This event has passed.
Tuesday April 23, 2013 @ 12:00 am - Wednesday April 24, 2013 @ 12:00 am
On April 23 and 24, 2013, the National Consortium for Data Science hosted its first Leadership Summit on data and its impact in a scientific field. The invite-only Summit brought together leading data and genomic scientists to discuss what needs to be done to harness the power of genomic data to revolutionize healthcare, make new discoveries related to health and disease, and improve public health. Summit participants discussed issues related to data collection, analysis, management and validation, as well as the implications of using genomic data for clinical decision making, the challenges of sharing genomic data, and the human issues related to genome sequencing to diagnose disease and plan clinical care.
The two days of brainstorming and discussion will produce a white paper highlighting the challenges and opportunities of genomic data as a catalyst for better healthcare and new genomic discoveries. The white paper is expected to be published in June, and will be available on this website. Our thanks to the following individuals and organizations for making the first Leadership Summit a success.
Leadership Summit Planning Committee
- Chair: James P. Evans, MD, PhD, Bryson Distinguished Professor of Genetics & Medicine, UNC School of Medicine, and Editor-in-Chief, Genetics in Medicine
- Stan Ahalt, PhD, Director, Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI), Professor, Department of Computer Science, UNC Chapel Hill, Director, Biomedical Informatics Core, NC TraCS
- Geoffrey Ginsberg, MD, PhD, Director, Genomic Medicine, Duke Institute for Genome Sciences & Policy; Executive Director, Center for Personalized Medicine, and Professor of Medicine and Pathology, Duke University Medical Center
- Jason Lieb, PhD, Director, Carolina Center for Genome Sciences and Professor of Biology, UNC Chapel Hill
- Daniel Masys, MD, Affiliate Professor, Biomedical and Health Informatics, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Howard L. McLeod, PharmD, Fred Eshelman Distinguished Professor of Pharmacy, UNC Chapel Hill, and Director, UNC Institute for Pharmacogenomics and Individualized Therapy
- Charles Schmitt, PhD, Director of Data Initiatives, RENCI, UNC Chapel Hill
- David W. Threadgill, PhD, Professor and Head of Genetics and Associate Member of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, North Carolina State University
- Kirk Wilhelmsen, MD, PhD, Professor of Genetics, UNC Chapel Hill, and RENCI Chief Scientist for Genomics
The NCDS thanks the following organizations for their support of the Leadership Summit: