- This event has passed.
2023 NCDS Fall Career Panel Analyzing Data Science Careers
October 17, 2023 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
2023 NCDS Fall Career Panel Analyzing Data Science Careers – Are you career ready?
You don’t want to miss these data science professionals who provide insight into what it takes to capture the attention of top recruiters in data science and data analytics. Our panelists represent a variety of career stages and they are ready to discuss what it takes to set yourself apart as you launch your career search.
Join us to learn more about:
- What programming languages are in demand now,
- Unexpected ways to promote your experience
- What experiences you should gain early in your career
Moderator: Dr. Deborah Strohman
- Peter Baquero | Director of AI and Machine Learning at AlixPartners : Peter Baquero is a leader and subject matter expert in the areas of analytics, data management, and data science. He has more than 15 years of experience working both in industry and as a consultant who helps Fortune 100 organizations use their data to realize revenue growth, cost reduction, and risk mitigation. Peter has a record of conceptualizing, promoting, and implementing effective and agile analytic programs. He has transformed data and analytic functions in finance, marketing, risk management, pricing, and corporate strategy for clients in the financial services, retail, and technology sectors.
- Suparna Goswami | Senior Research Scientist at RENCI: Suparna Goswami, PhD, is a Senior Research Scientist at RENCI and a co-lead of the Community Data Standards and Knowledge Graph Search Group for the NIH HEAL Data Stewardship Group. Goswami has several years of research experience in the areas of innovation management, user experience research, quantitative research methods; and in leading interdisciplinary, multi-institutional research projects. In addition to her academic background, Goswami has years of industry experience in the development and implementation of large scale multi-organizational information technology systems. She has published in premium journals and conferences in the areas of information systems management and computer human interaction.
- Reiko Nakashima | Director of Computational Biology in Machine Learning and Computational Sciences at Pfizer: Reiko is Director of Computational Biology in Machine Learning and Computational Sciences (MLCS) group at Pfizer. With her computational, biostatistical, and epidemiological skills, she leads computational method development to analyze various types of large biological data including high-throughput sequencing data. Before joining Pfizer, she was Assistant Professor at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School where she led cancer genomics, cancer immunology, and biomarker discovery studies using whole-exome sequencing, RNA-sequencing, clinical and pre-clinical studies, and longitudinal population-based cohorts.
- Estevan E. Torres Jr | Senior Financial Analyst at Bank of America : Estevan E. Torres Jr. is a Systems Engineering graduate from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte with a diverse background spanning multiple industries, including manufacturing, supply chain controls, and finance. Estevan has been an integral part of Bank of America for the past four years. Throughout his journey at the bank, he has gained valuable experiences in various departments, from Global Procurement, Global Risk, and now finding himself in Staff Support Finance. He has a personal connection to assisting the Latinx, LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented communities. Estevan volunteers his time giving back to combat stigmas in the mental health and low-income population locally in his hometown of Charlotte, NC. He is passionate about promoting mental wellness and supporting individuals in their own career progression.